History

Our History

In 1922, a drapery shop named “The Sheet Company” opened in St. Annes-On-Sea, Lancashire. After the Second World War, an ex-serviceman from the North East, Ronald Soper, was employed as an assistant at the shop.

He became the manger and eventually the owner, renaming the shop “R. Soper (Drapers) Limited.” On his death in 1972 his son, Christopher Soper, took over the business.

By the early 1980’s Soper’s had begun producing and wholesaling its own range of printed fabrics under the brand name Avon Fabrics, which later was renamed Sandown & Bourne.

As the business grew, larger premises were needed and Sandown & Bourne moved to a new office and purpose built warehouse that had been constructed on land situated at the back of St. Annes. Sandown & Bourne fabric is now exported to countries all over the world.